Yoga and breathing are amazing exercises to do with your energetic children especially because it relaxes the mind and stretches the body. Yoga has many health benefits as it helps with balance, coordination and mindfulness — it’s never too early to start! Yoga comes naturally to kids. Most of the times they are more flexible as compared to us adults. Did you know 21st June is celebrated as International Yoga day. Since my little one has turned 3 we are so excited to start our yoga journey this year. There are proven benefits of Yoga for adults. Starting early for kids can be beneficial in combating the behavioural issues in children.
Benefits of Yoga for Kids
- It helps manage anxiety.
- It increases body awareness and mindfulness in kids.
- Yoga helps in calming and relaxation.
- It increases attention span and memory.
- It is a great Gross Motor Activity as it strengths the muscles and improves flexibility
- It ensures physical fitness.
- Yoga improves social awareness .
- Yoga also boosts confidence in kids.
How to start Yoga for Preschoolers
- Make it fun.
- Make use of illustrations.
- Be creative with the names of the poses.
- Learn a few poses at a time and repeat them again and again.
- Make lots of noise
- Take your child’s cue. Initially keep it short and sweet.
Yoga Poses for Kidshttps://www.instagram.com/p/CQOtGK7lU-_/ Here are some easy yoga poses for Kids.
1. Tree Pose (Vrikshasana)Allow your child to fold their hands in prayer position (namaste). Then allow them to lift their arms up while staying in the prayer position. Then help them balance their one leg as shown in the picture. Let the toddlers take their own time, some support would be required.
Mountain Pose (Tadasana)Reach as high as the Mountain. Allow the child to raise their hands as high as they can and lift the heels balancing just on their toes. For additional support allow them to join their hands and keep the arms touching the ears. Benefits
- Improves height
- Improves balance
3. Owl Pose (Vajrasana)Vajrasana is a simple sitting pose with various health benefits too. It is the wise way of sitting after meals.
4. Butterfly Pose (Baddha Konasana)Bend both knees and join both feet. Then flutter like a butterfly.
5. Frog Pose (Malasana)Allow your child to sit in a squatting position.
6. Dog Pose (adho mukha svanasna)Go down on your feet and hands like a dog.
7. Child’s Pose (Balasana)Kneel down on the floor with toes together and your knees hip-width apart. Rest your palms on top of your thighs.
- Liked it? PIN IT